League Forums

Main - League News/General Discussion

Re: Rule Changes from 2020 Season

By martinwarnett
4/20/2024 2:26 am
To clarify, if you have say a CB you're converted to a DE and you've assigned them the DE position, it that allowed given they will be under weight for most of the season or should they only be active once weight reasonably no longer gives a speed advantage?

Ditto WR to RB etc.

Going the other way - heavier to lighter shouldn't give an advantage.

By martinwarnett
4/22/2024 11:26 am
Anyone able to answer?

By Gustoon - League Admin
4/22/2024 12:46 pm
martinwarnett wrote:
To clarify, if you have say a CB you're converted to a DE and you've assigned them the DE position, it that allowed given they will be under weight for most of the season or should they only be active once weight reasonably no longer gives a speed advantage?

Ditto WR to RB etc.

Going the other way - heavier to lighter shouldn't give an advantage.

As far as I’m concerned this is ok , so long as the move is permanent.

If anyone else wants to voice an opinion, make yourself heard …

By Infinity on Trial
4/22/2024 7:45 pm
I have a couple of concerns, but understand that others may disagree.

Underweight DL will wreck a game by racking up sacks and forcing bad QB play, even if they have little or no talent. This is especially true of they are fast. (Before the new pay-to-play system, I left multiple leagues because the rules allowed for this.)

DBs generally won't gain more 50 or 60 pounds, so even if the move is permanent, he's never going to get up to 270 or so.

By Gustoon - League Admin
4/23/2024 3:19 am
Infinity on Trial wrote:

Underweight DL will wreck a game by racking up sacks and forcing bad QB play, even if they have little or no talent. This is especially true of they are fast. (Before the new pay-to-play system, I left multiple leagues because the rules allowed for this.)

DBs generally won't gain more 50 or 60 pounds, so even if the move is permanent, he's never going to get up to 270 or so.

Valid point.
Should there be a minimum size / weight ?

By martinwarnett
4/23/2024 3:36 am
Gustoon wrote:
Infinity on Trial wrote:

Valid point.
Should there be a minimum size / weight ?

Point taken.

One was 240lbs, so there's scope to get around 280-290 - current speed is 63.
Other is around 225 so could get to the 265-270 mark - current speed is 73.

If you're looking at NFL metrics, then not too far off, weightwise,

Neither was picked due to overly high speed, but due to other stats as projects.

What I'll do is play them pre-season but not regular season for this season (post season, ha!). If the weight doesn't progress to whatever mark is acceptable, then will switch to LB or cut instead.
Last edited at 4/23/2024 3:38 am

By Infinity on Trial
4/23/2024 6:44 am
I would be happy with a 265 weight limit.

By martinwarnett
4/23/2024 7:45 am
Problem you then get is enforcement.

Can't expect Gussie to vet everything, if you've got GMs "snooping" as a result, can pit GM against GM, not an ideal situation either.

I realise it's hypocritical given I'm involved in this, but I really don't see a good way to handle players going from a lower weight to higher weight position due to the speed potential problem. In my case, the players don't have blistering speed to begin with, adding weight would only make them slower.

The issue is thus the transition period - because player X is significantly below weight for the position, their speed is higher, advantage gained. If the game had a practice squad, then maybe a rule could occur that for all players transitioning, they have to remain on PS until in position weight range.

It's a tricky one. It's complicated in that the game almost encourages conversions - after all, do a search, can elect to have players not in that position group.

All I can say is that I'll not be playing them in competitive games until the weight is more reasonable.
Last edited at 4/23/2024 7:56 am

By Infinity on Trial
4/23/2024 8:18 am
I don't think anybody expects Gus to monitor everyone's every move. We have to hold ourselves accountable. Perhaps the easier rule would simply be: Don't convert DBs to DL.

By RykerFlorence
4/23/2024 9:24 am
how do you tell if a lineman is any good?